The Board’s primary purposes in evaluating the Superintendent are to provide strong leadership and management for the school unit; to strengthen the working relationship and communication between the Board and Superintendent; and to assist the Board in judging the effectiveness of the Superintendent’s performance.
- The Board will evaluate the Superintendent on a schedule determined by the Board. Evaluation should be at a regularly scheduled time and place.
- The evaluation criteria and schedule will be made available to the Superintendent in advance of the evaluation process. The Superintendent shall also conduct a self-evaluation in advance of the formal evaluation by the Board.
- Board members will be asked to submit individual written evaluations to the Board Chair.
- The Board Chair will draft an evaluation that will include a summary of all individual evaluations submitted.
NOTE: At its discretion, the Board may meet in executive session to review the evaluation form prior to meeting with the Superintendent.
- The Board will meet with the Superintendent in one executive session to review the evaluation, including relevant issues that may not be specifically included on the evaluation form. The Superintendent will be provided with a copy of the written evaluation.
The Superintendent will be given the opportunity to provide feedback to the Board regarding his/her evaluation, job responsibilities, and working relationship with the Board. Specific matters related to the terms of the Superintendent’s contract may be discussed at this meeting or a subsequent meeting.
- The Board will use the Superintendent’s evaluation and the Board’s priorities/goals to establish performance goals for the Superintendent. The next evaluation will include the Board’s assessment of the Superintendent’s progress toward these performance goals.
Legal Reference: 1 M.R.S.A. § 405
ADOPTED: December 10, 1991
Recoded: June 1998
UPDATED: October 11, 2011
June 11, 2013