Duties of the Chair
The Chair shall preside at all meetings of the Board and shall perform other duties as directed by law, Maine Department of Education rules, and by board policy, procedures, practice and/or other board agreement. In carrying out these responsibilities, the Chair shall:
- Sign the instruments, acts, and orders necessary to carry out state requirements and the will of the Board;
- Consult with the Superintendent in the planning of the Board meeting agendas;
- Confer with the Superintendent on crucial matters that may occur between Board meetings;
- Appoint all standing committee chairs and members, subject to final Board approval. Make appointments to school, district and regional committees, subject to Board approval. Appoint School Board members to serve on board advisory committees subject to Board approval.
- Call special meetings of the Board as necessary;
- Be the public spokesperson for the Board at all times except as this responsibility is specifically delegated to others; and
- Preside at and be responsible for the orderly conduct of all Board monthly meetings.
As presiding officer at all meetings of the Board, the Chair shall:
- Call the meeting to order at the appointed time;
- Announce the business to come before the Board in its proper order;
- Enforce the Board’s policies relating to the order of business and the conduct of the meeting;
- Explain, as appropriate, what the effect of a motion would be;
- Restrict discussion when a motion is before the Board;
- Put motions to a vote and announce the vote result.
The Chair shall have the right, as other Board members have, to offer motions, discuss questions, and vote.
Duties of the Vice-Chair
In the absence of the Chair, the Vice-Chair shall perform all the duties of the Chair. The Vice-Chair will assist the Chair and Superintendent in setting the monthly business and workshop agendas.
Duties of the Secretary
The Superintendent shall serve as Secretary of the Board, with the right to speak on all questions and offer recommendations. The Secretary shall be responsible for ensuring that records are kept of all business transacted by the Board at both regular and appropriately called special meetings, and shall perform such other functions as are ordinarily functions of this office.
Legal Reference: 20-A1 MRSA § 1055 (ALL)
ADOPTED: September 13, 2005
Reviewed: March 12, 2013